International Climate & Development Assistant
Climate Action Network (CAN) Europe is Europe's largest coalition working on climate and energy issues. With over 180 member organisations in more than 38 European countries - representing over 44 million citizens - CAN Europe works to prevent dangerous climate change and promote sustainable climate and energy policy in Europe.
CAN Europes Secretariat represents and guides the Network. It is one of the most active organizations engaged in lobbying and advocacy among the EU decision makers in Brussels. Its team is a group of dynamic and effective policy experts, combining enthusiasm and commitment to environmental protection with strong belief in the power of science and evidence in policy making.
CAN Europes Secretariat is currently seeking a dynamic individual with a demonstrated interest in international climate, gender equality and development policy and who is willing to contribute to our thinking on gender, decoloniality and global justice during our work up to COP27 and beyond. The individual will gain professional experience in our International team as an International Climate & Development Assistant. The position is full time and based in Brussels.
The responsibilities will include the following tasks:
1. Contributing to the development and delivery of effective outreach strategies and narratives;
2. Monitoring international climate policy developments and the news agenda relevant to the work of CAN Europe, and for this role our work on international climate finance, particularly for adaptation and loss and damage, and key outcomes to contribute to global justice at COP27;
3. Interpreting facts and decisions, making sense of scientific data and dry policy language, gathering and organizing information including data sets;
4. Assisting with organising meetings and events for CSOs, decision-makers, internal meetings etc
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
1. Demonstrated interest in the mission and values of CAN Europe;
2. Relevant experience and/or academic background;
3. Interest in climate, gender, decolonialism and/or global justice;
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills (English, any other European language is a bonus);
5. Proven experience in writing/editing/producing policy/academic materials and resources;
6. Commitment to inclusiveness and diversity.
With this opportunity, we offer:
1. A six month internship contract under Belgian law with fair compensation and additional benefits;
2. An exciting and highly motivating working environment;
3. Opportunity to contribute to climate action and development;
4. Valuable professional experience;
5. An introduction to the vast network of European NGOs.
How to apply:
Please send an email with an attached CV and a concise letter in English explaining your background and your motivation for the specific position to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line International Climate & Development.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
Interviews will be conducted in English.
Closing date for applications: end of Sunday 29th May at midnight
Interviews between the 6th June and the 17th June
Expected start date: 4 July 2022