Internship at EMN (Project and Research Assistant )
Title: Project and Research Assistant
Status: Internship (Convention d'immersion professionnelle)
Period covered: 6 -9 months
Start date: September 2022 (date to be agreed with candidate)
Deadline: 31st of August 2022 17:00 CEST (interviews will be held during the application period).
The European Microfinance Networks mission is to promote microfinance as a tool to fight social and financial exclusion in Europe through self-employment and the creation of microenterprises. EMN is a member-based non-profit and has 97 member-organisations in 24 countries.
EMN is currently seeking to hire a person to assist the implementation of the Ploutos project (under the supervision of the EMNs Senior Research Officer) and the whole secretariat with EMN projects, administration and office-based tasks.
The Ploutos project aims to facilitate the social and economic integration of Third Country Nationals (TCNs) (legal residing immigrants and refugees) through financial literacy and more specifically through two pilot courses: financial literacy course and a business language course. It is an international project with European partners that aims at developing a network of grassroots organisations in Belgium (and in the other partners countries) to deliver the pilot courses.
Through the participation in these pilot courses TCNs will improve their skills and be able to contribute to the economy of their host country. EMN is in charge of developing courses that are tailored to the Belgian context by adapting the European curricula developed in the framework of the project.
This opportunity will allow you to increase your understanding of the microfinance sector in Europe (both from a theoretical and practical perspective), your understanding of EU projects and gain problem-solving skills in a business environment. Trainees are fully involved in all aspects of EMNs work, providing full immersion in the team and the possibility to increase your professional network.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Support the implementation and reporting of the Ploutos project (15%)
- Liaise with experts and project partners to construct and implement the pilot courses;
- Attend internal and external meetings with Belgian and European partners;
- Support the development of a Belgian Ploutos network;
- Support the outreach campaign in order to identify 30-40 beneficiaries for the pilot courses;
- Support the EMN team in the management of the project, networking activities and identification of partners;
- Support the EMN team in the reporting of the project.
2)Support the development and implementation of the Business Language Financial Literacy courses in Belgium under the Ploutos Project (80%)
- To provide general support on research and information gathering for the courses;
- To draft/adapt the curricula of the courses;
- To translate (from English into French) parts of the curricula.
- To provide support in the preparation and creation of dissemination materials;
- To support the organisation of the Business Language and Financial Literacy courses and of other project related events;
- To draft short reports and other documents, as required;
- To assist in the implementation of research activities, as required.
3)Support the EMN office and administrative tasks (5%)
- To support in administrative ad hoc tasks related to the projects managed by EMN;
- To support the organisation and delivery of EMN events including its Annual Conference.
These responsibilities are not of a limitative character but might evolve over time and are defined together with the candidate and the EMN Secretariat.
· Demonstrated interest in microfinance/inclusive finance, inclusive entrepreneurship and migrant/refugee integration;
· Strong ability to write concisely and convincingly in French and English;
· Ability to gather and analyse data and research skills;
· Ability to draft reports and prepare presentations;
· Good organisational and time management skills;
· Positive and open-minded work attitude, both for team and independent work;
· Advanced computer skills required, particularly of MS-Office package (Power Point, Excel and Word);
· Legally able to work in Europe.
The following would be highly valued:
· Understanding of the needs of and/or working experience with migrants and refugees;
· Understanding of the Belgian context related to business creation and migrant integration;
· Experience in developing training curricula;
· Understanding of and/or previous experience on financial literacy topic;
· Networking skills;
· Educational qualifications up to Masters level in economics, finance, political science or another relevant field.
The candidate will be based at the EMN office in Brussels (Avenue des Arts 7-8, 1210) with the possibility of hybrid work. They will be offered an internship contract (convention d'immersion professionnelle).
To apply, please send your CV (max. 2 pages) and a motivation letter (max. 1 page) in English, demonstrating your suitability to the above role, to the attention of Caroline Lentz (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Nicola Benaglio (email@example.com).
Deadline for applications is 31st August 2022 at 17:00 CEST. Please be aware that interviews will take place during the application period as well as in the weeks following the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.